Friday, February 4, 2011

Beyond the Philippines, first time in China

I was on the last Cebu Pacific flight bound for Shanghai last 18th of January. It was my first out of the Philippines trip, and honestly, I was very excited to be traveling, and starting to explore the world. It's about time that I do. With a luggage, a hand carry bag, stories from friends and family, and no expectations (well, maybe a little), I was all set and ready and see true the "Beyond" part of my blog, The Philippines and Beyond.

We were greeted with light snow the night/morning we arrived in Shanghai. Unfortunately, I was just adjusting and settling in, thus, I was not able to take shots of the surroundings. The morning after was different. This was the sight that greeted us the morning after our first day in China. Thick snow. After that, I vowed never to wish for snow again. Hahaha. Experiencing it once is enough :)

_DSC3167Snow in Shanghai

We checked in Motel 168 (which should merit a single post of its own); we walked around and ate at the convenient store, before settling in our room for the night. I was praying for snow. I was confident that it will snow for me, at least once during our entire stay in China, so that I would be able to experience it for the first time. It was fortunate that my wish was granted.

The photos below were taken along Nangjing Road (East Nangjing), the main shopping street of Shanghai, China, and is one of the world's busiest shopping streets; and eventually, Zhongshan Road, Huangpu River (a branch of the lower reaches of the Yangtze River) and the Bund in Huangpu District, a former Shanghai International settlement, now one of the most famous tourist attractions in Shanghai.

_DSC3176_DSC3186
Photos from East Nanjing Road

_DSC3207The Bund
The view of the Bund at the end of Zhongshan Road

Shanghai Expo, The Bund

_DSC3457_DSC3462
_DSC3460
The Bund at night across the Huangpu River, a view from Lujiazui in the Pudong district, where the famous Orient Pearl Tower is located.

I guess this starts my blog posts about my first out of the Philippines trip, first China trip, and a lot more firsts. I will try to let you see the beauty I saw in China.

China was awesome! Besides it being the land of my ancestors, I think we, Filipinos, have a lot to learn from the Chinese. My China trip left a big mark, and it actually made me yearn for MORE. Honestly, I want to go back. I don't know when, but I am anxious to be back and see more of what the country has to offer. The Philippines is a great nation, but we must go beyond our own borders, and share our experiences, that's how we learn and grow as people.

All photos were taken with the Sony Nex-5, except for the photo with me in it. Photo credits go to Yuri of Lost Tsinelas. Check out "Having quick lunch at Mojo Cafe (East Nanjing road)". :)

2 comments:

  1. huwaw....1st out of the country tas China kagad.ikaw na talaga.hahaha. gusto ko rin yan. may snow!!!!!lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so lucky! I lived in Shanghai for 3 years and it never snowed. Not even once! I had to take a train to Beijing to see snow. :))

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails