Yoshinoya dates back to 1899 at Nihonbashi, Tokyo where a Japanese man named Eikichi Matsuda created a delicious recipe of beef and rice known as Gyudon beef bowl. This recipe became popular worldwide and sparked the expansion of Yoshinoya in over 1,000 outlets in Japan, US, Taiwan, China, Singapore, Malaysia, Australia and the Philippines.
In the Philippines, it was franchised by Century Pacific Inc., makers of Century Tuna, in 2001. To date, it has 7 branches, serving quality authentic Japanese fast food, in Metro Manila. Yoshinoya is available at Parksquare 1, SM Megamall, Robinsons Galleria, SM North EDSA, Greenhills, SM Mall of Asia and Sta. Lucia.
Why I LOVE Yoshinoya
Yoshinoya, unlike any other Japanese fast food restaurant, serves the best beef, which is simmered in a special broth of herbs and spices. Once it has reached your bowl or plate, and is on top of steaming white rice, you'll forget you're in the Philippines. A lot of people claims it tastes exactly like the Yoshinoya in Japan.
The photo above is the JUMBO-C (Gyudon + Ebi Tempura). The beef is so soft and tender and very juicy. You don't need anything to compliment its taste. It may look dry and bland, but wait until you've tried it. You'll surely love every bite. The Ebi Tempura was awesome as well. :)
Some of the other dishes you may want to order in Yoshinoya: Japanese Fried Chicken (Php 80), it was like any other normal fried chicken, maybe the least Japanese-y of them all; Mixed Tempura (Php 125); Chicken Teriyaki, which comes in regular (Php 90) and large (Php 125) - said to be the healthiest option in Yoshinoya; and the Shiitake Shu Mai and the Kani Shu Mai (Php 50) - the Shiitake is love. 'Nuff Said.
Jumbo Plates at Php 165: JUMBO-A (Gyudon + Chicken Teriyaki); JUMBO-B (Gyudon + Beef Yakiniku); and JUMBO-C (Gyudon + Ebi Tempura)
1. Write a blog post in your own blog (wordpress, blogspot, tumblr, multiply, etc.) on "WHY DO YOU LOVE YOSHINOYA?"
2. Link this entry "I love Yoshinoya, Japan's #1 Beef Bowl" in any part of your post.
3. Comment at this entry by posting the link to your blog post and your email or any other means I can contact you, should you win :)
4. Deadline is on February 26, 2010 (11:59pm). I will close the comment box after that.
5. This contest is open to Mega-Manila residents only.
6. I will announce the VALID* winner based on content and how you answered the question, on Sunday, February 28. :)
*VALID - meaning you blogged and answered the question, you linked this post, you commented below by putting the link to your post and your email/means for me to contact you, and you're from MEGA MANILA.
PRIZE = Php 500 worth of Yoshinoya Gift Certificate