Saturday, August 2, 2008

Lea Salonga's Cinderella

Some friends and I planned to watch Lea Salonga's Cinderella, which premieres its Asian tour here in Manila, more or less a month ago. Last night was the official opening of the play. Admittedly, it was a magical night of sound, lights and costumes. I really loved the play. It is my first ever full-blown play with international superstar cast.

Two of the songs that I like the most are "In My Own Little Corner" and "Impossible." These parts of the lyrics struck me the most.

"I'm as mild and as meek as a mouse
When I hear a command I obey.
But I know of a spot in my house
where no one can stand in my way.
In my own little corner in my own little chair
I can be whatever I want to be."

and

"Impossible! But the world is full of zanies and fools
who don't believe in sensible rules
and won't believe what sensible people say..
and because these daft and dewey eyed dopes
keep building up impossible hopes
impossible things are happening every day!"


Two traits that Filipinos have in common with Cinderella is that we both are "matiyaga" and "pasensyoso" (hardworking and patient). We take in whatever hardships life would throw at us, and we keep on going and going and going like the Energizer bunny. I guess, similarly, the play teaches us, Filipinos, how to love, dream, hope, and actualize and do impossible things in life.

Anton asked in his blog, "Is it impossible for Filipinos to be a great nation in 2010?" It is possible! As long as we have a dream, as long as we hope, as long as we try our best, it is but impossible!
Though I consider myself a Lea Salonga fan, I really haven't seen any of her concerts and theatre shows ever in my life, until yesterday. After watching and hearing her live, who wouldn't love Lea Salonga? I have proven over and over and over again that her voice is just the purest and pristine of all. Congratulations to Bobby Garcia, and of course, Lea Salonga! We are proud of the accomplishments of Filipinos like you! :)

Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella, presented by Broadway Asia Entertainment and starring world-renowned Filipina artist Lea Salonga, runs July 29-August 24 at the Main Theater of the Cultural Center of the Philippines. It will then tour other Asian countries like Hong Kong, China, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and Korea. Bobby Garcia leads the powerhouse production team.

Tickets are now available at selected National Book Store branches, selected Robinsons Department Stores, Ayala Malls-Greenbelt 1/Glorietta 1, and the Ticketworld office or website. Ticket prices are at P500-P7,000. Call 8919999 for inquiries and reservations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails